|Course Title||Code||Semester||L+P Hour||Credits||ECTS|
|Seafood Spoilage Indicators||SUF 317||5||1||2||3|
|Prerequisites and co-requisites||Yok|
|Recommended Optional Programme Components||None|
|Language of Instruction||Turkish|
|Course Level||First Cycle Programmes (Bachelor's Degree)|
|Course Coordinator||Prof.Dr. Yeşim ÖZOĞUL|
Sensory, chemical, physical and microbiological methods used for determination of quality of seafood will be taught and all these analyses during course will be carried out individually.
Seafood freshness and factors affecting seafood quality, the methods for quality control and taking precautions to prevent quality, importance and chemical structures of seafood nutritional compounds, analyses of proximate and fatty acid composition, post-mortem chemical changes and reasons, determination and application of sensory, chemical and microbiological analyses of seafood quality, carrying out TVB-N and TBA, extraction of biogenic amines and ATP and its breakdown products, lipid oxidation (FFA and PV), microbiological spoilage and laboratory work for analyses.
|1) Learning of freshness and the factors affecting freshness|
|2) Post mortem chemical changes and explaination of their reasons|
|3) Making the list of quality control methods and taking precautions to prevent quality|
|4) Taking precautions when working in a laboratory|
|5) Doing analyses of proximate composition in seafood|
|6) Comprehending of sensory, physical, chemical and microbiology analyses|
|7) Obtaining knowledge of methods which are used for freshness measurements and spoilage parameters|
|Course's Contribution To Program|
|No||Program Learning Outcomes||Contribution|
Having knowledge on natural and applied sciences and basic engineering; combination of their theoretical and practical knowledge on fisheries engineering applications.
2. Assessment of data scientifically on fisheries engineering, determining and solving the problems
3. Uses theoretical and practical knowledge in the field of fisheries to design; investigates and interprets events and phenomena usig scientific methods and techniques.
4. Collecting data in fisheries science, making the basic experimental studies, evaluating the results, identifying the problems and developing methods of solution
5. Having plan any study related to fisheries science as an individually, managing and consulting.
6.Learning the knowledge by the determining learning needs; developing positive attitude towards lifelong learning
7. Communicating oral and written in expertise field, monitoring the seminars and meeting in expertise field, following the foreign language publication.
8. Improving life-long learning attitude and using the information to the public interest.
9. Creating public awareness about fisheries and having the ability to ensure sustainable use of aquatic resources.
10. Communicating oral and written effectively, participating the seminars and meetings in expertise field, following the foreign language publications.
11. Using the informatics and communicating technology
12. Improves constantly itself , as well as professional development scientific, social, cultural and artistic fields according to his/her interests and abilities identifying needs of learning.
13. Gaining competence to determine the current status of aquatic resources and its sustainable use, water pollution and control, and biotechnology areas.
14. Having ability to promote the study about aquaculture techniques by saving the natural environment, fishery diseases, fishing and processing technology, structure of fishery sector, problems and solution of their expertise field
15. Ability to act in accordance with the regulation, social, scientific, cultural, and ethical values on fisheries field
|1||Seafood freshness and the factors affecting seafood freshness||Reading literature and lecture notes related to subject||Lecture|
|2||Methods for quality control and taking precautions to prevent quality||Reading literature and lecture notes related to subject||Lecture|
|3||Importance and chemical structures of seafood nutritional compounds||Reading literature and lecture notes related to subject||Lecture|
|4||Seafood nutritional compound analyses Giving assignment for students||Laboratory preparation to carry out analyses, preparation of project|
|5||Seafood nutritional compound analyses||Laboratory preparation to carry out analyses, preparation of project|
|6||Post-mortem chemical changes and reasons||Laboratory preparation to carry out analyses, preparation of project||Lecture|
|7||Sensory, chemical, physical, and microbiological methods for determination of quality control||Reading literature and lecture notes related to subject, preparation of project||Lecture|
|8||Middle time exam||Study for exam|
|9||Subjective and objective sensory methods and physical methods||Reading literature and lecture notes related to subject, preparation of project||Lecture|
|10||Chemical and biochemical methods||Reading literature and lecture notes related to subject, preparation of project||Lecture|
|11||Analyses of TVB-N-TBA etc.||Laboratory preparation, preparation of project||Lecture|
|12||Extraction of biogenic amines and nucleotide degradation products||Reading literature and lecture notes related to subject and Laboratory preparation, preparation of project||Lecture|
|13||Importance of lipid oxidation||Reading literature and lecture notes related to subject, preparation of project||Lecture|
|14||Lipid oxidation and analyses of FFA, PV||Reading literature and lecture notes related to subject and Laboratory preparation, preparation of project||Lecture|
|15||Microbiological spoilage and laboratory work, deadline for submitting projects||Reading literature and lecture notes related to subject and Laboratory preparation||Lecture|
|16-17||Final exam||Study for exam||Testing|
|Recommended or Required Reading|