|Course Title||Code||Semester||L+P Hour||Credits||ECTS|
|Water Quality and Control||SUF 206||4||2||3||4|
|Prerequisites and co-requisites||Yok|
|Recommended Optional Programme Components||None|
|Language of Instruction||Turkish|
|Course Level||First Cycle Programmes (Bachelor's Degree)|
|Course Coordinator||Prof.Dr. Fatma ÇEVİK|
The aim of the course is to create awareness on the importance of water, to examine the physico-chemical and biochemical characteristics, environmental factors affecting water quality, to understand pollution sources and treatment methods in general, understanding the importance of the fisheries sector and related water quality analysis to make.
Characteristics of water, composition of water varieties, hydrological cycle, biological mechanism in surface water, physical and chemical characteristic of natural water, sources of pollution, biochemical cycle of nutrient and their pollution, thermal pollution, organic matter pollution, solid matter pollution, oil pollution and its effects on the ecosystem, pesticides and fertilizer pollution, detergent pollution and its effects, heavy metal pollution and its effects, microbial pollution, water pollution treatment methods, physical, chemical and biological treatment, water framework directive, physico-chemical analyses of water (Dissolved oxygen, carbon dioxide-bicarbonate-carbonate, equivalent of chloride, active chlorine, the organic substance, and suspended solids of ammonium, phosphate, cadmium).
|1) Knows the physicochemical structure and important properties of water.|
|2) Understands how the water quality is affected as a result of natural and human intervention.|
|3) Describes and classifies the water quality criteria.|
|4) Understands sources of pollution and makes comments on refinements.|
|5) Understands the effects of the changes in water quality in the ecosystem.|
|6) Makes the measurement and analysis of water quality criteria.|
|7) Has consciousness on source control for protecting natural resources.|
|Course's Contribution To Program|
|No||Program Learning Outcomes||Contribution|
Having knowledge on natural and applied sciences and basic engineering; combination of their theoretical and practical knowledge on fisheries engineering applications.
2. Assessment of data scientifically on fisheries engineering, determining and solving the problems
3. Uses theoretical and practical knowledge in the field of fisheries to design; investigates and interprets events and phenomena usig scientific methods and techniques.
4. Collecting data in fisheries science, making the basic experimental studies, evaluating the results, identifying the problems and developing methods of solution
5. Having plan any study related to fisheries science as an individually, managing and consulting.
6.Learning the knowledge by the determining learning needs; developing positive attitude towards lifelong learning
7. Communicating oral and written in expertise field, monitoring the seminars and meeting in expertise field, following the foreign language publication.
8. Improving life-long learning attitude and using the information to the public interest.
9. Creating public awareness about fisheries and having the ability to ensure sustainable use of aquatic resources.
10. Communicating oral and written effectively, participating the seminars and meetings in expertise field, following the foreign language publications.
11. Using the informatics and communicating technology
12. Improves constantly itself , as well as professional development scientific, social, cultural and artistic fields according to his/her interests and abilities identifying needs of learning.
13. Gaining competence to determine the current status of aquatic resources and its sustainable use, water pollution and control, and biotechnology areas.
14. Having ability to promote the study about aquaculture techniques by saving the natural environment, fishery diseases, fishing and processing technology, structure of fishery sector, problems and solution of their expertise field
15. Ability to act in accordance with the regulation, social, scientific, cultural, and ethical values on fisheries field
|1||Introroduction, the importance of water, our country and the worlds water potential, properties of water molecule Instruments and materials used in water quality laboratories.||Reading relevant section in books and other sources|
|2||Hydrological cycle and Changes in the water quality during the cycle, the biological mechanisms of surface waters. Concentration units used in the water analysis, and solution preparation.||Reading relevant section in books and other sources, preparing homework|
|3||Physical and chemical properties of natural waters. Measuring devices (oxygen meter, pH meter, etc.), and calibration, maintenance.||Reading relevant section in books and other sources|
|4||Physical and chemical properties of natural waters. Analysis of suspended solids, the measurement of the secchi disc depth.||Reading relevant section in books and other sources, preparing homework|
|5||Sources of pollution, classification. Oxygen, analysis of dissolved oxygen.||Reading relevant section in books and other sources, preparing homework|
|6||Biochemical cycles and pollution of nutrients. Analysis of pH, carbon dioxide, carbonate, bicarbonate.||Reading relevant section in books and other sources|
|7||Termal pollution, organic matter pollution. Analyses of total hardness.||Study for midterm exam|
|8||Mid-Term Exam||Reading relevant section in books and other sources|
|9||Salts are dissolved in water, electrical conductivity, heavy metal pollution and its effects, MID-TERM Analysis of salinity.||Reading relevant section in books and other sources, preparing homework|
|10||Oil and oil pollution and its effects on the ecosystem. Analysis of organic matter.||Reading relevant section in books and other sources|
|11||Pesticides and fertilizer pollution. The principle of the spectrometer and the standard solution preparation.||Reading relevant section in books and other sources|
|12||The solid matter pollution, detergent pollution and its effects, microbial contamination. Nitrite analysis.||Reading relevant section in books and other sources|
|13||Water pollution treatment methods; physical, chemical and biological treatment. Phosphates analysis.||Reading relevant section in books and other sources, preparing homework|
|14||Water quality criteria for aquaculture. Analysis of active chlorine.||Reading relevant section in books and other sources|
|15||Water framework directive, water quality control criteria and standards. Lab exam.||Study for Final Exam||Testing|
|Recommended or Required Reading|