|Course Title||Code||Semester||L+P Hour||Credits||ECTS|
|Prerequisites and co-requisites||Yok|
|Recommended Optional Programme Components||None|
|Language of Instruction||Turkish|
|Course Level||First Cycle Programmes (Bachelor's Degree)|
|Course Coordinator||Prof.Dr. Sevim POLAT|
To identify planktonic organisms and understand the role of plankton in ecosystems, to gain basic information on research and analysis methods, to learn effects of environmental parameters on plankton ecology. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Definition of plankton, classification of planktonic organisms, plankton sampling equipment and sampling techniques, plankton investigation and counting equipments, phytoplankton taxonomy and characteristics of phytoplankton groups, zooplankton taxonomy and characteristics of zooplankton groups, plankton ecology, effects of environmental factors on planktonic organisms.
|1) 1.Describes the plankton.|
|2) 2.Explains the role of plankton in aquatic production.|
|3) 3. Distinguishes plant and animal plankton.|
|4) 4. describes the methods used in quantiative and qualitative plankton sampling and investigation.|
|5) 5. Explains basic criteria in identification of plankton.|
|6) 6.Evaluates the relations among plankton and water quality.|
|Course's Contribution To Program|
|No||Program Learning Outcomes||Contribution|
Having knowledge on natural and applied sciences and basic engineering; combination of their theoretical and practical knowledge on fisheries engineering applications.
2. Assessment of data scientifically on fisheries engineering, determining and solving the problems
3. Uses theoretical and practical knowledge in the field of fisheries to design; investigates and interprets events and phenomena usig scientific methods and techniques.
4. Collecting data in fisheries science, making the basic experimental studies, evaluating the results, identifying the problems and developing methods of solution
5. Having plan any study related to fisheries science as an individually, managing and consulting.
6.Learning the knowledge by the determining learning needs; developing positive attitude towards lifelong learning
7. Communicating oral and written in expertise field, monitoring the seminars and meeting in expertise field, following the foreign language publication.
8. Improving life-long learning attitude and using the information to the public interest.
9. Creating public awareness about fisheries and having the ability to ensure sustainable use of aquatic resources.
10. Communicating oral and written effectively, participating the seminars and meetings in expertise field, following the foreign language publications.
11. Using the informatics and communicating technology
12. Improves constantly itself , as well as professional development scientific, social, cultural and artistic fields according to his/her interests and abilities identifying needs of learning.
13. Gaining competence to determine the current status of aquatic resources and its sustainable use, water pollution and control, and biotechnology areas.
14. Having ability to promote the study about aquaculture techniques by saving the natural environment, fishery diseases, fishing and processing technology, structure of fishery sector, problems and solution of their expertise field
15. Ability to act in accordance with the regulation, social, scientific, cultural, and ethical values on fisheries field
|1||Definition of plankton and history of plankton science||reading on course subjects||Lecture|
|2||Classification of planktonic organisms||Reading the lecture notes and related resources||Lecture|
|3||Scientific fields related to planktonology, sampling techniques of plankton||Reading the lecture notes and related resources||Lecture|
|4||Fixation of plankton and counting methods||Reading the lecture notes and related resources||Lecture|
|5||Plankton counting methods, volumetric analyses||Reading the lecture notes and related resources, preparation for laboratory||Lecture|
|6||General properties of planktonic organisms||Reading the lecture notes and related resources, preparation for laboratory||Lecture|
|7||Reproduction types of plankton||Reading the lecture notes and related resources, preparation for laboratory||Lecture|
|8||Midterm exam||Study for exam||Testing|
|9||Phytoplankton groups, taxonomy of phytoplankton||Reading the lecture notes and related resources, preparation of homework||Lecture|
|10||Phytoplankton groups||Reading the lecture notes and related resources||Lecture|
|11||Taxonomy of zooplanktonic organisms||Reading the lecture notes and related resources||Lecture|
|12||Zooplankton groups, protozooplankton||Reading the lecture notes and related resources||Lecture|
|13||Zooplankton groups, metazooplankton||Reading the lecture notes and related resources, browse the article related to the course||Lecture|
|14||Adaptation to pelagic life characteristics of plankton||Reading the lecture notes and related resources, browse the article related to the course||Lecture|
|15||Environmental factors affecting distribution of plankton||Reading the lecture notes and related resources, browse the article related to the course||Lecture|
|16-17||Final exam||Study for final exam||Testing|
|Recommended or Required Reading|