|Course Title||Code||Semester||L+P Hour||Credits||ECTS|
|Mollusk and Crustacean Culture||SUF 308||6||1||2||4|
|Prerequisites and co-requisites||Yok|
|Recommended Optional Programme Components||None|
|Language of Instruction||Turkish|
|Course Level||First Cycle Programmes (Bachelor's Degree)|
|Course Coordinator||Prof.Dr. Metin KUMLU|
To teach biology and culture techniques of most commonly farmed commercial crustaceans such as shrimp, prawn, crayfish, lobster, as well as bivalves such as mussel, clams, pektenids
In this lecture, from Crustaceans; Shrimp Biology, Maturation and Spawning in Shrimps, Shrimp Larvae Culture Techniques, Live Feed Production for the Larvae Culture of Shrimps, Shrimp Growout Techniques, and from Bivalves; Biology and Culture of Mussels, Biology and Culture of Oysters, Biology and Culture of Clams, Biology and Culture of Pectenids will be thought
|1) Students are aware of global production of crustaceans and bivalves|
|2) Students know general culture techniques of crustaceans|
|3) Students gained knowledge about biology and culture techniques of shrimp|
|4) Students know prawn species and their culture methods|
|5) Students learned culture potential and farming techniques of European, American and Australian crayfish species|
|6) Students learned culturing methods of clawed and spiny lobsters|
|7) Students know biology and farming methods of commonly cultured mussels|
|8) Students know biology and culture methods of oysters|
|9) Students gained knowledge about biology and farming practices of clams and pectenids|
|Course's Contribution To Program|
|No||Program Learning Outcomes||Contribution|
Having knowledge on natural and applied sciences and basic engineering; combination of their theoretical and practical knowledge on fisheries engineering applications.
2. Assessment of data scientifically on fisheries engineering, determining and solving the problems
3. Uses theoretical and practical knowledge in the field of fisheries to design; investigates and interprets events and phenomena usig scientific methods and techniques.
4. Collecting data in fisheries science, making the basic experimental studies, evaluating the results, identifying the problems and developing methods of solution
5. Having plan any study related to fisheries science as an individually, managing and consulting.
6.Learning the knowledge by the determining learning needs; developing positive attitude towards lifelong learning
7. Communicating oral and written in expertise field, monitoring the seminars and meeting in expertise field, following the foreign language publication.
8. Improving life-long learning attitude and using the information to the public interest.
9. Creating public awareness about fisheries and having the ability to ensure sustainable use of aquatic resources.
10. Communicating oral and written effectively, participating the seminars and meetings in expertise field, following the foreign language publications.
11. Using the informatics and communicating technology
12. Improves constantly itself , as well as professional development scientific, social, cultural and artistic fields according to his/her interests and abilities identifying needs of learning.
13. Gaining competence to determine the current status of aquatic resources and its sustainable use, water pollution and control, and biotechnology areas.
14. Having ability to promote the study about aquaculture techniques by saving the natural environment, fishery diseases, fishing and processing technology, structure of fishery sector, problems and solution of their expertise field
15. Ability to act in accordance with the regulation, social, scientific, cultural, and ethical values on fisheries field
|1||General Introduction||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|2||Shrimp Biology||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|3||Maturation and Spawning of Shrimps||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|4||Shrimp Larval Culture||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|5||Live Feeds Used in Larval Feeding||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|6||Shrimp Grow-out Methods||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|7||Prawn Biology and Farming Techniques||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|8||Mid-Term Exam||Preparation for Exam||Testing|
|9||Crayfish Biology and Farming Techniques||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|10||Lobster Biology and Culture Techniques||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|11||General Bivalves Farming||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|12||Oyster Biology and Farming||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|13||Oyster Biology and Farming||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|14||Clam Biology and Farming||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|15||Pectenids Biology and Farming||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|16-17||Term Exams||Preparation for Exam||Testing|
|Recommended or Required Reading|