|Course Title||Code||Semester||L+P Hour||Credits||ECTS|
|The Application of Biotechnology in Seafood Proces *||SUF 324||6||1||2||3|
|Prerequisites and co-requisites||Yok|
|Recommended Optional Programme Components||None|
|Language of Instruction||Turkish|
|Course Level||First Cycle Programmes (Bachelor's Degree)|
|Course Coordinator||Prof.Dr. Yasemen YANAR|
To identify biotechnological developments in seafood processing technology,To gain basic information about the methods used in this field and biotechnological applications
In this lecture, the definition of biotechnology, explaining the importance of the main application areas. Differences in traditional and modern biotechnology are thought. Explaining the developments in the field of food biotechnology.The application of biotechnoloy in seafood processing technology is thought. The utilization of enzymes such as protease, lipase and transglutaminase as processing aids and quality control.
|Course's Contribution To Program|
|No||Program Learning Outcomes||Contribution|
Having knowledge on natural and applied sciences and basic engineering; combination of their theoretical and practical knowledge on fisheries engineering applications.
2. Assessment of data scientifically on fisheries engineering, determining and solving the problems
3. Uses theoretical and practical knowledge in the field of fisheries to design; investigates and interprets events and phenomena usig scientific methods and techniques.
4. Collecting data in fisheries science, making the basic experimental studies, evaluating the results, identifying the problems and developing methods of solution
5. Having plan any study related to fisheries science as an individually, managing and consulting.
6.Learning the knowledge by the determining learning needs; developing positive attitude towards lifelong learning
7. Communicating oral and written in expertise field, monitoring the seminars and meeting in expertise field, following the foreign language publication.
8. Improving life-long learning attitude and using the information to the public interest.
9. Creating public awareness about fisheries and having the ability to ensure sustainable use of aquatic resources.
10. Communicating oral and written effectively, participating the seminars and meetings in expertise field, following the foreign language publications.
11. Using the informatics and communicating technology
12. Improves constantly itself , as well as professional development scientific, social, cultural and artistic fields according to his/her interests and abilities identifying needs of learning.
13. Gaining competence to determine the current status of aquatic resources and its sustainable use, water pollution and control, and biotechnology areas.
14. Having ability to promote the study about aquaculture techniques by saving the natural environment, fishery diseases, fishing and processing technology, structure of fishery sector, problems and solution of their expertise field
15. Ability to act in accordance with the regulation, social, scientific, cultural, and ethical values on fisheries field
|1||Definition of biotechnology, food biotechnology and the historical development of traditional and modern biotechnology||Reading the lecture notes and related resources|
|2||Aquatic biotechnology: biotechnological applications of aquaculture, transgenic fish, the effects on human health||Reading the lecture notes and related resources|
|3||Biotechnological Advances in Fish Processing Technology||Reading the lecture notes and related resources, preparation of homework|
|4||Enzyme biotechnology, their use in seafood processing||Reading the lecture notes and related resources, preparation for laboratory|
|5||Method development of use of proteases: protein hydrolyzate, fish processing waste protein extraction||Reading the lecture notes and related resources, preparation for laboratory|
|6||The use of proteases on removal of fish scales,shell separation of crustacean and reduce the time of ripening of salted fish||Reading the lecture notes and related resources, browse the article related to the course|
|7||the use of proteases in reducing the viscosity of the mucosa and tenderizing of squid||Study for exam|
|8||Midterm exam||Reading the lecture notes and related resources, browse the article related to the course|
|9||the use of proteases production of caviar and Isolation of pigments||Reading the lecture notes and related resources, browse the article related to the course|
|10||The use of transglutaminase: make the changes of texture||Reading the lecture notes and related resources, browse the article related to the course|
|11||The use of lipases: The use of EPA and DHA extraction||Reading the lecture notes and related resources, preparation of homework|
|12||The importance of quality control of enzymes; quality indicator and enzymes for analytical purposes; Biosensors||Reading the lecture notes and related resources, browse the article related to the course|
|13||The determination of the quality of fresh fish direct enzymatic methods: K-value, TMA analysis etc.||Reading the lecture notes and related resources, browse the article related to the course|
|14||Enzymatic assay methods on processed fish products, the use of enzymes in the determination of the frozen-thawed fish products||Reading the lecture notes and related resources|
|15||Extraction of bioactive compounds in seafood processing waste||Reading the lecture notes and related resources, browse the article related to the course|
|16-17||Final exam||Reading the lecture notes and related resources|
|Recommended or Required Reading|