|Course Title||Code||Semester||L+P Hour||Credits||ECTS|
|Marine Hatchery Technology||SUF 415||7||1||2||3|
|Prerequisites and co-requisites||Yok|
|Recommended Optional Programme Components||None|
|Language of Instruction||Turkish|
|Course Level||First Cycle Programmes (Bachelor's Degree)|
|Course Coordinator||Prof.Dr. Metin KUMLU|
The aim of this lecture is to teach students how to select a suitable site and then design a marine hatchery, plan all production phases including larval and nursery culture as well as describe fry transporting techniques
Introduction, Site Selection for Marine Hatcheries, Water Intake Systems, Water Filtration and Sterilization Techniques, Hatchery Dizay, Supportive Units, Broodstock Unit, Spawning and Hatching Unit, Larva Culture Unit, Live Feed Culture Unit, Artemia and Rotifer Enrichment Techniques, Nursey Unit, Fry Transport Techniques
|1) Students can select a suitable site for a marine hatchery|
|2) Students can design a hatchery and its production units|
|3) Students are aware of all production phases in a hatchery, including live feeds production, larval and nursery culturing techniques|
|4) Students know fry transporting methods of marine species|
|Course's Contribution To Program|
|No||Program Learning Outcomes||Contribution|
Having knowledge on natural and applied sciences and basic engineering; combination of their theoretical and practical knowledge on fisheries engineering applications.
2. Assessment of data scientifically on fisheries engineering, determining and solving the problems
3. Uses theoretical and practical knowledge in the field of fisheries to design; investigates and interprets events and phenomena usig scientific methods and techniques.
4. Collecting data in fisheries science, making the basic experimental studies, evaluating the results, identifying the problems and developing methods of solution
5. Having plan any study related to fisheries science as an individually, managing and consulting.
6.Learning the knowledge by the determining learning needs; developing positive attitude towards lifelong learning
7. Communicating oral and written in expertise field, monitoring the seminars and meeting in expertise field, following the foreign language publication.
8. Improving life-long learning attitude and using the information to the public interest.
9. Creating public awareness about fisheries and having the ability to ensure sustainable use of aquatic resources.
10. Communicating oral and written effectively, participating the seminars and meetings in expertise field, following the foreign language publications.
11. Using the informatics and communicating technology
12. Improves constantly itself , as well as professional development scientific, social, cultural and artistic fields according to his/her interests and abilities identifying needs of learning.
13. Gaining competence to determine the current status of aquatic resources and its sustainable use, water pollution and control, and biotechnology areas.
14. Having ability to promote the study about aquaculture techniques by saving the natural environment, fishery diseases, fishing and processing technology, structure of fishery sector, problems and solution of their expertise field
15. Ability to act in accordance with the regulation, social, scientific, cultural, and ethical values on fisheries field
|1||Description of Marine Species and Their Culturing Techniques||Homework||Discussion|
|2||Site Selection for a Marine Hatchery||Homework||Discussion|
|3||Design of a Marine Hatchery||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|4||Water Intake Methods for Marine Hatcheries||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|5||Water Filtration and Sterilisation Techniques||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|6||Water Heating/Cooling and Discharging Methods||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|7||Design of Broodstock Unit and Maturation Techniques||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|8||Mid-Term Exam||Preparation for Exam||Testing|
|9||Design of Spawning Units and Egg-hatching Techniques||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|10||Design of Larval Culture Unit and Larval Production Techniques||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|11||Design of Live Feed Production Unit and ProductionTechniques||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|12||Design of Nursery Unit and Production Techniques||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|13||Design of Nursery Unit and Production Techniques||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|14||Fry Transporting Methods||Preparation for the Topic||Discussion|
|15||Visit to a Commercial Marine Hatchery||Preparation for the Topic|
|16-17||Term Exams||Preparation for Exam||Testing|
|Recommended or Required Reading|