|Course Title||Code||Semester||L+P Hour||Credits||ECTS|
|Fiber Optic Cominication||ELH 234||4||3||3||3|
|Prerequisites and co-requisites|
|Recommended Optional Programme Components||None|
|Language of Instruction||Turkish|
|Course Level||Short Cycle Programmes (Associate's Degree)|
|Course Coordinator||Lec. Serdar KAŞIKCI|
To contribute to the students to learn components used in optical communication systems. To provide calculation about optic laws. To provide understanding of principal and practice of basic concepts.
Fiber optic communication system, optical sources, photodetectors, fiber optic waveguides, transmission characteristics of optic fibers, fiber materials, optical fiber losses.
|1) Understand the requirements for use in optical communication systems.|
|2) To understand the principles of optical communications|
|3) Fiber optic cable characteristics, Recognizing the types and fiber optic cables in optical signal transmission parameters that affect the ability to comprehend|
|4) Fiber optic cable characteristics, Recognizing the types and fiber optic cables in optical signal transmission parameters that affect the ability to comprehend|
|5) Recognizing optical source and detector used in optical communications|
|Course's Contribution To Program|
|No||Program Learning Outcomes||Contribution|
1.Program graduates have sufficient knowledge in mathematics, science and the implementation of the telecommunication issues in these areas
2.Program graduates have knowledge regarding available materials and their selection in telecommunication sector.
3. Program graduates have knowledge of planning and organizing ateliers and operating plants in telecommunication sector.
4. Program graduates have ability to follow developing technologies with his/her acquired knowledge.
5. Program graduates have ability to design and draw the professional plans and projects by using a computer drawing or simulation program in his/her filed.
6.Program graduate carry out a basic level study on his/her own, collect, analyze and interpret the data and prepare the final report in order to examine a problem regarding telecommunication technologies.
7. Program graduates take responsibility as a team member in order to solve the problems encountered in the applications of telecommunication area; he/she who has the conscious of the necessity of lifelong learning renews his/herself continuously to acces
8. Program graduates have ability to use at least one computer programming language and a foreign language in the extent required by the profession.
9. Program graduates use one computer software required by the field at least and information and communication technologies in a basic level.
10. Program graduates inculcate to be a patient individual with responsibility consciousness and moral values required by the profession.
12.Program graduates act according to professional ethics to provide the occupational health and safety in the field
|1||History of Fiber optics and propagation||preliminary||Lecture|
|2||Introduction to fiber optics communication systems||preliminary||Lecture|
|3||Optical fiber waveguides||preliminary||Lecture|
|4||Snell Law, Acceptance angle, unmerical aperture, phase and group velocity||preliminary||Lecture|
|5||Fibers index profile||preliminary||Lecture|
|9||Transmission characteristics of optical fibers||preliminary||Lecture|
|10||Loss types, dispersion,||preliminary||Lecture|
|11||Polarization, optic components,||preliminary||Lecture|
|12||Fiber materials and properties||preliminary||Lecture|
|13||Optical fiber connectors and losses||preliminary||Lecture|
|15||Fiber optic systems now and then||preliminary||Lecture|
|Recommended or Required Reading|